Scope & objectives
The overall objectives of ECAP II are:
- To foster trade, investment and technology exchange between Europe and ASEAN.
- To foster intra-ASEAN trade and investment.
The aims are:
- Legal framework
- Enhanced harmonisation of IP laws in ASEAN countries.
- Improved compliance of national procedures for granting, maintaining and enforcing IPR with the Trade-Related Aspects of Intellectual Property Rights (TRIPS) agreement and domestic requirements.
- Administration of IPR
- Improved efficiency of IP offices in ASEAN.
- Enforcement of IPR
- Strengthened enforcement of IPR.
- IP general awareness and information dissemination
- Increased awareness and understanding of (potential) right holders and general public on IPR.
Together with the ASEAN countries, more than 50 activities (training courses, seminars, workshops, technical assistance, study visits) have been implemented since the start of the programme. The main focus for the implementation of activities so far has been Thailand, Singapore and the Philippines. It is expected that activities will be further expanded in 2003 to Indonesia, Vietnam (national components), Laos and Cambodia (both national and regional components).